As I am reading this book, revelation after revelation bursts forth upon me confirming something I suspected for quite some time but which I did not take steps to really verify. Simply put, it is this: The mass-media is fooling us into thinking that the world is getting worse day by day; that the future has only nameless catastrophes and endless despair in store for humanity. From my pursuit of the personal development literature I was inclined to disbelieve this but conceded to it and passed off the personal development literature as slightly biased towards positive thinking. This began to change somewhat when I chanced across three books during the past year, -Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of our Nature," Matt Ridley's "The Rational Optimist," and Richard Brandson's "Screw Business as Usual." These authors strongly advocated the better future that is actually taking shape right now in front of our eyes, of the good overtaking the bad, of the triumph of justice over injustice, of overpowering the forces of darkness by those of light. But it was only when I read "Abundance," that the whole thing burst forth upon my awakened consciousness in a full blaze of light.So I am going to write about and review this in my next posts.
"All that one is is the result of what one has thought." Until one takes charge of one's own life, thinking is to a large extent shaped by the environment by default. The moment one takes conscious control of one's thinking a profound transformation becomes possible. Reading is one of the most powerful ways to do so. In this blog I comment on and review the books I read for the benefit of those seeking personal transformation via reading.
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Peter H Diamandis and Steven Kotler: "Abundance", The future is better than you think
As I am reading this book, revelation after revelation bursts forth upon me confirming something I suspected for quite some time but which I did not take steps to really verify. Simply put, it is this: The mass-media is fooling us into thinking that the world is getting worse day by day; that the future has only nameless catastrophes and endless despair in store for humanity. From my pursuit of the personal development literature I was inclined to disbelieve this but conceded to it and passed off the personal development literature as slightly biased towards positive thinking. This began to change somewhat when I chanced across three books during the past year, -Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of our Nature," Matt Ridley's "The Rational Optimist," and Richard Brandson's "Screw Business as Usual." These authors strongly advocated the better future that is actually taking shape right now in front of our eyes, of the good overtaking the bad, of the triumph of justice over injustice, of overpowering the forces of darkness by those of light. But it was only when I read "Abundance," that the whole thing burst forth upon my awakened consciousness in a full blaze of light.So I am going to write about and review this in my next posts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment